Forest of Reading Kid & Teen Committees
Every May, we announce the winners of the Forest of Reading Awards. In 2017 we decided to start a summer reading list that is selected by young people themselves. Every Spring we pull together a group of incredible kids and teens to meet for a day long event to talk about the best books for kids and teens to be reading each summer. The day is moderated by one of our Selection Committee members and fun and exciting guests pop in throughout the day. More information is listed below the current lists.
Check out our summer reading lists below as chosen by our Kid Committee (Silver Birch and Red Maple) and our Teen Committee (White Pine) to keep your readers reading through the summer.
Continue to support the Forest of Reading and purchase these titles through our official wholesaler and sponsor, Tinlids!
Download the 2022 Kid Committee Summer Reading List for Silver Birch and the Printable Poster (Coming May 24th)
Download the 2022 Kid Committee Summer Reading List for Red Maple and the Printable Poster (Coming May 24th)
Download the 2022 Teen Committee Summer Reading List for White Pine and the Printable Poster (Coming May 24th)
About the Kid and Teen Committee
- The Forest of Reading program releases summer reading lists for kids and teens that our Kid and Teen Committees put together every spring. We invite avid readers who are in Grades 4 to 6, Grades 7 and 8, and high school to join three separate committees and share their opinions on Canadian books for kids and teens.
APPLICATIONS OPEN MARCH 1, 2023
Meeting Dates: *committee meetings will be held on Zoom.
- May 1, 2023: Kid Committee – Silver Birch
- May 2, 2023: Kid Committee – Red Maple
- May 4, 2023: Teen Committee – White Pine
About the Kid and Teen Committees:
We will bring together three groups of passionate readers to select a list of 10-20 books for other students their age throughout Canada. This group will advocate for their favourite books and work with teachers and library staff to engage in great conversations about Canada’s best new books.
The day runs from 9am-12:30pm virtually (Zoom). Participants will have an amazing day with other avid readers!
For more information, please contact the Director of the Forest of Reading, Meredith Tutching.
Past Summer Reading Lists:
- Kid Committee Summer Reading List | Poster (11″ x 17″)
- Teen Committee Summer Reading List | Poster (11″ x 17″)